Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending email from a Clipper application 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbizzell

Programmer
Jul 3, 2000
Does anyone know how to write a function in Clipper that will send a short email message from withing the clipper application.

I am creating emails in clipper using SendMail:

attached some info about the product and a link. contact me if you have a question.
reetings!

Thank you for trying out MailSend. Please send me your feedback on
the program via e-mail ( jimbo@radiks.net ).

MailSend is shareware. If you use it after a trial period of 30
days, you must register it.

Please visit the shareware section of my web site for updates to
MailSend and general information on enhancements.

To install MailSend, you'll need an "unzip" utility such as
WinZip or PKZIP. Unzip MailSend into a directory. You can
then run it from that directory. There is no formal installation
process.

To uninstall MailSend, simply delete those same files from the
directory you created. MailSend does not leave residual registry
entries.

You may place MAILSEND.ZIP on any website or on any shareware CD
collection. You may also place MailSend on CD's packaged with
magazines or books.

You must first contact me before distributing MailSend as a part
of a program.

Please feel free to contact me via e-mail if you have any questions
regarding MailSend.

Detailed information on using MailSend can be found in the file
MAILSEND.HLP.

Jim Lawless
jimbo@radiks.net

Thanks for the information on MailSend but I tried the web site address and it did not work.

If you use Microsoft outlook, you can also initiate outlook from a clipper app. Simply run the following code

Run Start /w outlook.exe /c ipm.note /m mailto: sam@samp.com

Where sam@samp.com is the email address. I have a client database where I have each clients email address stored. Then I let the users press a function key and outlook opens up already preaddressed to the recipients address.
The "start /w" part of the command tells clipper to wait until the spawned process is complete (the email is sent) before returning control to the app.
Hope this helps,
Dianne

Thanks Dianne, that might come in handy but what I want to do is have Clipper program send a pre-determined message to a pre-determined address anytime a certain operation is performed. For example my application has a lot of functions that create data that needs to be flagged for management review. I want to be able for the Clipper application to automatically send an email when that happens without the user having to do anything.

The best way is to have a running COM-object (in Delphi/XBase++ Jazz) and communicating to your Clipper App via Named Pipes, or SPX/IPX Sockets or (worst) Directory poller. That COM-Object will have Outlook as its COM-object, so from your Clipper app you can communicate to Outlook as COM-Object. That's not very simple, but exactly what you will need.
Igor

I was very interested in what DianneD suggested about:-

RUN Start /w outlook.exe /c ipm.note /m mailto: xxx@isp.com

How does one include an attachment in the above example???

Cheers,
Jim

2 wildcard:
According to outlook doc:
Create an item with the specified file as an attachment. /a "path/file name" [color]

Thank you Igor

So I did exactly that and created new .EXE using RTLINK

Ran it but nothing happened... nada... zilch
(I have Outlook running permanently... is that a problem?)

The code line reads:-
RUN Start /w outlook.exe /c ipm.note /a "c:\myfile.txt" /m
mailto: jwild@xtra.co.nz

The mailsend program suggested a few messages back in this thread works great. I have chosen that as a way to send email from a Clipper program.

Thanx fbizzell,

Will score a copy and trial it...
I will post my results back on this thread...

Jim

Please send me a copy of shareware file mailsend.zip to sterenas@hotmail.com as the web site above is not working.
Thanks,
ST

I too, would like to try this MailSend.zip Please send at copy to Kduncan@IPM-Software.net Thanks!

I too, would like to try this MailSend.zip Please send at copy to marcel2be@tiscalinet.be Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back