Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending DTMF to a Norstar ATA line 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMWSr

Technical User
Dec 14, 2007
US
Would anyone know how to deliver DTMF signals to a device plugged into a jack tied to a port on the ASM-08A (or an ATA)?

1.Dial the extension number of the port
2.Device answers
3.Push dial pad buttons

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

Thanks for the post. This is what we are doing and it isn't working. Once the device answers, just dead air when we push the buttons on the phone. We have a MICS with an ASM08A, T7316E, and T7208 phones.

Usualy you wont hear the dtmf try calling the device and when you press the keys do you hear the tones. *809

We've tested with a butt set and an analog phone on the port where the equipment is connected. There are no audible tones with either test. The equipment is an emergency annunciator that needs to "hear" DTMF to know what message to broadcast.

Ah you are trying to send the ata DTMF not ATA out DTMF.I have looked in the docs and see nothing about incoming DTMF but I do believe that the BCM delivers it now but not sure about the norstar.Plus they did not supply disconnect for lines either.

To send dtmf both ways, you'll have to use a VMI (voice mail interface). Since they're no longer manufactured, you can only get them on the grey market, and are subject to pay whatever they're asking.

I still don't know why Nortel discontinued them. It would have made sense if they had integrated that feature into the newer ATA's/ASM's.

If I read this correctly, you may need to dial F808 for "Long Tones". This will send DTMF over an internal call.

This issue comes up when trying to use a third party voice mail system connected to a Norstar.

F808 - Long Tones - am I correct?

Rick Williams "Doctor Dialtone"

Thanks for all the information. I looked for the "receive tones" setting under capabilities and did not see that option there or anywhere in the settings for the extension. Looked in system areas for something like that with no luck.

I'm realizing that it may not be possible to deliver DTMF to this device, creating a really big problem. I'm going to have the site test the F808 for long tones. If that doesn't work, we'll need to go back to the drawing board and see what can be done to deliver DTMF to this port. It is critical to have the emergency annunciator working due to the site location.

I'm still searching. There has to be a way to receive DTMF tones on an analog port. I'm sure there are other pieces of equipment that would connect to an analog port and need to receive tones to function.

Thanks to all.

You can use any vendors ATA like a Linx ATA I know these are used for conference bridges in the Norstar.

we recently had this issue and had to go out and purchase the VMI modules to get a customers old Voicemail system to work on ATA it worked out fine , we purchased them through Nikki @ a1 teletronics . documentaion is very hard to find on these devices . I a fairly certain that this is the only way to acheive the result you are after.

To elaborate on Deweyhumbolt's idea, take a second ATA or ASM port and connect it to an unused analog line/trunk port. Then you access the line/trunk port, get station dialtone and call the station with the emergency annunciator, it answers and you DTMF to it from the system phones!

Of course you have a little bit of programming to do.

This loop around trick has been used on Melin-Legend/Magix and Partners all the time for things like this and other apps. No reason the Norstar can't use it to solve a problem too.

....JIM....

Thanks to everyone for all your input. Tried the long tones (LINK *809) with no luck. We're down to the VMI and LS/DS trunk card solutions. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks to SYQUEST for elaborating on the analog trunk card suggestion from Deweyhumbolt. Shouldn't be any issues with installing an LS/DS next to a DTI card. Just need to install the wiring, cross connects, and do the programming. Makes sense - somewhat.

D'oh....

Look again (above).....

Long Tones is F808 .. .not 809.

Of course the "loop around" idea is better, more permanent and reliable, if you spend the time to hook it up and program it.

Good luck!

Rick Williams "Doctor Dialtone"

Thanks for the clarification on the code - typo on my part.

The loop around sounds like the best - only - option to keep the call internal to the site and have DTMF delivered. Sure appreciate all the input!

Thanks to everyone that helped with resolution. The LS/DS work-around was successful!! Sure appreciate everyone's input!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back