Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending contacts from a Palm to a Nokia 8290

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobTheMad

Programmer
Jun 11, 1999
US
Ok, I recently purchased a Nokia 8290 phone and I see that it has an infrared port on it. Is there a way to send contact phone #'s from my Palm address book to the Nokia?

Thanx in advance. Thought for the day: Beware of Gods who cannot laugh...

Just spoke to Nokia
1-888-665-4228
they said if you have a 3360 or a 7160 model phone then you could beam a phone number back and forth to a Palm.
I have a 6162 and it does not support it.
DougP, MCP

Visit my WEB site to see how Bar-codes can help you be more productive

I have a Nokia 8290 and a Palm V. Choose the number to send from your phone to the Palm and hit option and send.

I was successful only in sending from phone to Palm.

I have a 8290 and a Handspring Visor which runs a Palm OS and I send to the phone by opening the persons file in my address list that I want to send and then selecting the bottom left touchpad button, which brings down the menu list and I select Beam Address, turn the phones IR port on to receive by selecting menu then pushing 9 and then select. Then line them up and it only takes a split second and it should be on the phone. The only problem with this is that, the phone will only take the last name and the number, but you can hit edit and put there first name in if you want. Also you can make a Business card on both the palm and the 8290 and send it alot easier. But also if your into personalizing the 8290 phone you can go to and they have an application that you can use to change ringtones, logos, and a few other things straight from your palm OS handheld to the 8290 Nokia phone. Pretty neat I ran across it the other night. Any questions just yell, well grumble loudly.. later

I have a 7160 and I was able to send my contacts back and forth from palm to phone and phone to palm....
But thats not what U asked, the 8290 is a gsm phone and there are a myriad of programs out to communicate between gsm phones and palms. I don't have a gsm phone(the 7160 and 8260 are TDMA) but try "phoneman" check out any of the big GSM webpages or do a google search(ie:palm+os+gsm+nokia)
hope it helps
bhang
nokia-7160@groups.yahoo.com
7160/TDMA user group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back