Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sending company email to outside user-

Status
Not open for further replies.

joat25

Vendor
Jan 26, 2001
US
hi everyone-
just migrated to a new exchange box, but i seemed to have forgotten something.
we have 2 external employees with company pop3 email accounts (no accounts on the exchange server). in the past, when someone internal sent them a message, it went out to their pop3 email so they could pick it up. with the new box, exchange sees that the outside employees have the same email domain as internal users so messages to the outside employees fail (the exchange server thinks it should be responsible for those messages internally). i know i somehow excluded these two addresses from staying inside on the old box but forget the setting for the new box. as always, all help is appreciated.
thanks.

Are you saying that the 2 external employees have POP3 accounts using a provider other than your Exchange server? If that's the case, forwarding email to them is quite easy.

First, in AD, create a new "contact" record for each user. Make sure you name it something different than their regular AD account. We use "first last-ex" where ex means external. For the email address, populate their external POP3 address. Wait about 15 minutes for the system to create the SMTP email address for this new account. You can check the Email tab to see when it's populated.

Then, in their AD account records, on the "Exchange General" tab, click the "delivery options" button. You should be able to forward their internal email to the new contact record you created.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

In my situation, I have a exchange domain email account xxx@mydomain.com. When someone sends that email address an email I want a copy of any incoming email to also forward a copy to an external email address xxx@cox.net . Is there a way on the exchange side to accomplish this? Or any other way for that matter...

For some reason using outlook 2003 and exchange 2000, I tried to create a rule in Outlook to forward anything with my name in the To or CC but for some reason it doesn't work. The rule checks out fine but I don't recieve any emails in my cox account.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

You'll have to setup a mail enabled contact and forward the mail to that.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

That worked! Thank You very much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back