Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending and SMS from a PC using GPRS and a SIM card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ald35

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
SG
Hi Everyone,

I've got a project that I am completely lost on and I need some education and guidance. I want to plug in a GPRS card (one that has a place for a SIM card) into my PC add a SIM card to the GPRS card and be able to send SMS's from my PC to mobile phones...

...anyone got any hints, ideas, educational links or tips?

Thanks a lot!

Anthony

ps. specific questions I have now:
1. IS the GPRS card necessary? Can I just plug in a SIM card to my PC?
2. What programming language can I use to code my API (the user will see the interface that I designed)?

Hey

Regarding your questions:

1. Yes you will need to get GPRS card . At the moment PCs dont read SIM Card.

2. I could recommend you to use Perl (Main program) and Tk (graphic user interface).

Do it, surf on the net (google) and search for GPRS concepts, GSM technology.

It will give you more information about GSM/GPRS techmologies for Data Transmission

Cheers

dmazzini
GSM System and Telecomm Consultant

Dmazzini,

Thanks for your comments. What is the advantage of using Perl and Tk over something like Java or C#? I am VERY new to this and am trying to determine which programming language is the best for long-term development.

Thanks for your help!
Tony

I have been using Perl/Tk the las two years, ah I loved it. You dont need to compile it and the prgram it just a plain file. It has very powerful functions, libraries and it's free. One advantage is that the scripts can run on Windows, Linux and Unix. (Multioperating system lets says)..

I haven't been programing too much with C, I wrote some scripts in the past with C Shell under UNIX environment. I liked too but I would rather Perl.

From you can download it.

Cheers!

dmazzini
GSM System and Telecomm Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back