Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending all logs via Syslog

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpaters

MIS
Jun 24, 2000
US
I have a NT4.0 server running CP 4.1 and was wondering if there is a way to send the log entrys to a syslog server as they happen.

Thanks,
Mark

Go to the Log and Alert tab in the Rulebase Properties. Change the
"User Defined Alert Command" field to read something like:

/bin/logger -p daemon.notice

By default, this should cause events tracked as "User Defined" to
be logged to /var/adm/messages or to wherever you want.

That is a nice response if you happen to be running a Unix host, but this was an NT question and the logger syntax does not seem to work.
Are there any other approuches to this?
Thanks

I’m having trouble trying to figure out how to configure the CP/FW to send the log messages directly out to the syslog daemon.
Was anyone able to get this to work?
If so, can they elaborate a little more on the configuration/settings to get the messages from the CP/FW-4.1 box into the Kiwi Syslog Daemon application?
I am running the CP/FW on a Win NT/WS, trying to shove the log report into a SQL server on another Win NT/Server box.
I can use Kiwi’s Syslog Gen to simulate sending messages to the Syslog Daemon, and it works OK for the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back