Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sending a form/report by fax via VB/macro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackme

Programmer
Jan 16, 2001
IL
is it possiable to create a control key that will
send the active form/report thru fax
with the end-user only clicks the key
and the fax no. is control of the form

Am in the middle of doing this process at the moment.
We use FInFax Pro as our faxing program. This product has a option to install macros into Word. It also has the facility of being intelegant enough to reconise that the fax number could be included at the top of the page.
So what happens is access exports the record that is going to be faxed into a *.RTF and then word opens it. A macro that it built onto the toolbar is then pushed. This macro will merge document and then fax document.
Create a word document that will merge data from a source.
How to create all these macros...
Creat Macro in Access and select Export (something like that)
Export a query that you would of created with the relivent details that you wish to be included)
Before this make sure that your query will show the record that you are viewing.. SImple enough.. add an the PrimaryKey(ID) field into the query list and in the criteria add something like this
[forms]![Fm_Admin]![txt_Number] ---> Txt_number is a text field hidden on your form and it's source is the ID.
SO now what happens is your query will show only the record that you are viewing at the present time.
Back to bussiness..
In the macro export the data and select the query that you just created. Specify the source of the location of the file to be written to.
Then next line of macro maybe it's the run command or open
C:\windows\my documents..... direct it to the office merge document.
So the macro will export the data open up a word document.
This will not work when you run it. It will create the data file but will not reconise the word document. B/C we have not created it yet. The reason why you do it this way is so that when you create a word document you will have the data source to link it with.
If you then open up Word. FIle Newletter wizard follow the wizard and point the data source as the *.RTF file that we created earlier. It will then open the new document. Type what you want and insert the fields where they are needed.
Save document and then create a macro ... One of the pull down menus and then tools VIsual basic. CLick record and then run through the steps as you normally would when merging a document and sending it via fax. Stop macro place it on the toolbar and All done.
Relvent saves ect...
Sounds long winded well it is..
There may be an easier way for what your after and I wish you all the luck.. This way works in our bussiness and that is why it was setup like it was..

thanks HebeiBug ,
your way is about my way
but you gave me some helpfull hints
so thanks a lot ...

jack.

Have been looking into other ways of doing it as it seems to run quite slow when you run it across a network.
If you run a search in this forum for FAX then find the thread Any Fax pro Gurus out there. There is a site address which will direct you to a file which can be downloaded.
It contains Access 97 database which has fax capabilites.
Only thing is if you want to convert it you will hve to chnge the VB code

Have discovered another way of doing it.
Used the access database that was on the symatic website.
If you want a copy of the database then why not email me
Henrymaher@yahoo.co.uk
Will send you the database
Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back