Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sender's name/address appears different each time

Status
Not open for further replies.

michigan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2001
Please help me understand this.

I'm Running GW 7.0 (also WebAccess7)

Periodically, our internal users name/email address changes slightly. One day it will appear in quotes, next day it doesn't. Once in a while it appears with their WebAccess path.

I thought I understood how this works - but clearly I don't. From the clients, I thought if people had the "Save Addresses To Internal Sources" unchecked this would resolve the issue. It didn't. That only helps ½ the time with the multiple entries for one user. I then thought it may only be happening to those replying or generating email from WebAccess. Even looked at the GWIA SMTP/MIME settings - which doens't have Ignore GW Internet Addressing selected.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Marvin. Yes, we are using GWIA aliases
(for example Melanie Joshis logs into our network as:

Network: joshis
GW Alias: mjoshis

I forgot about aliases. Is that where the issue stems from?

Well.. I'm not sure.. But I just had a client that was having strange delivery problems as well. And I found out that they were using GWIA aliases to define the email address INSTEAD of regular Internet Addressing.

So anytime a message was sent to an internal user (at the email address defined by the GWIA Alias), the email would route out through the GWIA and back in.. And this caused it to appear as if it was coming from outside of the network rather than from an internal user.

Techncially if you have internal users within a post office, messages to each other should never leave the post office. But having GWIA aliases will cause this and it will gradually become more common as people start getting addresses built up
in their frequent contact lists.

With this particular client having the problem, we just started getting rid of the alias gateway and defining the email address on the User object itself as part of the Internet Addressing.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

That is interesting.

Now that I think about it, @ our office when you start typing someone's name it will autofill (Melanie Joshis) However, if you then mouse over her name it will display her Novell info, where her email will show as Joshis@DetroitBN (and not her GW alias). That said, I think it's the same from within WebAccess.

I will test removing the GW Alias, and defining their email address in the User object. Thanks again Marvin.

You know this is happening is you watch your GWIA (in verbose mode) and you see messages with the Sender and Receiver both being your domain.

Also, just getting rid of the alias won't prevent someone from still routing through the gwia because that's how it may be saved in their frequent contact list. So you would need to clean that up for any users that this happens with.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back