Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sender Denied Error in Exchange 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB0NE

MIS
Apr 19, 2002
US
I am running Exchange 2000 with the latest service packs.

I am having trouble receiving email from 1 domain and only under certain circumstances. The scenario is as follows:

We have an ASP in Florida that hosts our HR database. When we need support from them we email to hostingsupport@domain.com. This is a generic email repository that is reviewed by support personnel at their site. Once a support person takes the call they reply from their email address (not hostingsupport but rather 'techname@domain.com').

Under this scenario, the technician receives a response of:

Fatal error sending message: Permanent error with transmission: 554 5.1.0 Sender Denied.

If an email is sent directly to the technicians email address and not 'hostingsupport@domain.com', the tech's reply message is delivered properly.

I can only duplicate this problem with this domain and only under the above scenario. However, I must be able to exchange messages with this company using the 'hostingsupport' method because that is their standard support protocol.

Fact: I am not relaying.
Fact: I am not using any filters under 'Message Delivery'.
Fact: I am not blocking the domain, the sending IP, nor am I using a blacklist.
Fact: The sending email server is using Lotus Notes 6.0

I ran a log file for the SMTP service and logged the transaction. It is as follows:

SMTPSVC1 LIBERTY2 192.168.1.2 0 EHLO - +xxxxxxxx.ourdomain.com 250 0 330 25 0 SMTP - - - -
SMTPSVC1 LIBERTY2 192.168.1.2 0 MAIL - +FROM:<xxxxxx@theirdomain.com> 250 0 60 57 0 SMTP - - - -
SMTPSVC1 LIBERTY2 192.168.1.2 0 RCPT - +TO:<xxxxxxxx@ourdomain.com> 250 0 38 35 0 SMTP - - - -
SMTPSVC1 LIBERTY2 192.168.1.2 0 QUIT - xxxxxxxx.ourdomain.com 0 657 71 3707 219 SMTP - - - -

Notice the pattern of EHLO, MAIL, RCPT, QUIT.

Successfull messages will read; EHLO, MAIL, RCPT, DATA, QUIT

Unfortunately this log does not identify the specific reason for the aborted transaction. It simply states that the transaction ended.

I played with diagnotic logging but could not find any good information on which services or catagories I should monitor. Does anyone know what services and catagories I should inspect?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back