Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

send to/mail recipient help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABOSL

Programmer
Jan 25, 2006
I'm moving from Mozilla Thunderbird to Outlook 2000. I find that even though I have set Outlook to be my default email software when I use the send to/mail recipient option in windows explorer it still launches Thunderbird.

Please help!

If you are using IE6, have a look at any setting under Tools/ Internet Options/ Programs, see what it says about E-mail in there.

Linney,

Thanks I checked and I do have Outlook selected in IE6 under Mail, Newsgroup and Calendar. I reselected them and tried again but it doesn't help. Thunderbird still popped up.

Have a look at any Preferences for Thunderbird to see if it still believes it is the Default E-mail program.

"The Set Program Access and Defaults icon is located on the Start menu and in the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. If you are a computer administrator, you can use the Set Program Access and Defaults feature to specify the default program for certain activities, such as Web browsing, sending e-mail messages, or media playback. You can also control how the program's icons, shortcuts, and menu entries appear.

For additional information about how to specify default programs, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
332003 How to Change Your Default Programs and to Enable or Remove Access to Microsoft Windows and Non-Microsoft Programs."

Linney,

I am an administrator on my computer. I went to Set Program Access and Defaults and Outlook doesn't appear as an option. Outlook express does and the only other choice is "use my current email program". I went ahead and tried setting it there to outlook express and that appears to work but I need it set to outlook. How can I get outlook to show in Set Program Access and Defaults?

Have you rebooted since you have done this?

"Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar.
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click Other.
Under General, select the Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar check box."

As far as Set Default is concerned (I'm not in XP at the moment), you may have to choose something like "Use my current E-mail program"? You might even have to uninstall Thunderbird, so that your current E-mail is Outlook?

Linney,

I'm not sure what step your asking if I rebooted after but I rebooted this AM.

As I mentioned yesterday in Set Program Access and Defaults I selected Outlook Express as Outlook wasn't an option and thanfully Send To/Mail Recipient changed from Thunderbird to Outlook Express.

This AM I decided to try changin from Outlook Express to Outlook using IE6 Tools/ Internet Options/ Programs and IT WORKED!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's all I need. I'm happy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back