Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send SMS via PHP Through 3G Modem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbo79

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2006
GB
I want to send SMS messages from a PHP script using a 3G modem connected to the PC. I thought this would be easy but I haven't found a way to make it work yet.

Currently I have a maintenance script that sends email alerts when there is a problem, but I would also like it to send SMS alerts. I know I can use HyperTerminal to send AT commands to the 3G modem, but I don't know how to do this autonomously from PHP.

most cell carriers also have an email to sms service (you can email phone-number@vtext.com where phone-number is a valid Verizon cell number)

Here's a list of the ones I know/found quickly:
[ul]
[li]T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net[/li]
[li]Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com[/li]
[li]Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com[/li]
[li]Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com[/li]
[li]Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com[/li]
[li]Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com[/li]

[/ul]

i believe that it is more common in the US than Europe to have phone number emails. whilst some exist in Europe they are often limited MMS rather than SMS and limited to replies. The gateways are also often unreliable and the queues ridiculous

however a number of IP based connections directly to an smsc exist. many voip providers offer this as does a company that I have used in the past called aql (

Thanks jpadie, PHP Serial was exactly what I was looking for.

Being based in the UK the email to SMS/MMS wasn't a viable option (the SMS alerts are urgent should they be sent).

With the volume of SMS messages expected to be extremely low there didn't seem to be much point signing up for an external SMS gateway when I could send the texts from a mobile network modem for ~£0.10 each.

do take a look at aql. their prices (prepay) are 200 sms for £19.00 and, of course, there is no monthly fee to pay and no problems with cell coverage. it can also handle incoming messages and post to a website of your choosing. I used this solution once to hook up an embedded webserver to a door opening solenoid. so I could send a text message to a number and, provided that the message contained the relevant secret codes and came from the right number (the latter easily spoofed) the door would be openable for a short period of time. very useful to let in guests in my absence and insanely cool (imo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back