Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send/Receive Hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

benace

IS-IT--Management
Apr 8, 2003
US
Hey Guys-

I run Outlook 2000, all the latest updates, on WinXP SP2, latest updates, polling via pop3 from a sendmail server. I originally ran my .pst file on a WinXP tablet with no problems. I moved to my desktop with WinXP, same version of outlook, and my send/receive box hangs sometimes. Some days when I click Send/Receive, it takes a few seconds before it appears and then stays on the screen for 5-30 seconds. Other days, I click send and receive and it flashes quickly (as it should, and does on every other machine). I'm setup for corporate/workgroup email, polling from a standard pop3 server, no encryption. Same PST file, same day, move it back to my tablet, works fine. Other days, it works fine in both places. Very annoying, becuase when I click send/receive I want the mail to come in instantly. Once it starts to finally come in, it pours in as normal.

any thoughts? i've watched the file and registry access with filemon and regmon - nothing out of the ordinary. it does its normal processing, but when it's being stupid i just hangs for 5-30 seconds before mapis32.exe pops back in and says "here's your mail."

help?

-ben

Any synch/background errors? Check synch log or Deleted Items for any error log.

Nothing in deleted items - where is the "synch log"?

-ben

I have the same problem. Outlook 2003 says that I am receiving about 250 emails and after about 55 to 60 emails, it hangs. If I restart, I keep on the getting the same 55 emails. I can retrieve the emails thru web based email however.

The problem is not in receiving the emails, its just the send/receive function. On a properly working box, when I click send and receive - regardless of whether there are messages to download - it acts instantly. On my new box, when i click send/recieve it can take up to 5 seconds for the "delivering messages" box to appear, and then up to 30 seconds for it to start polling/delivering my actual mail. once it starts polling/delivering, it works quickly as normal. Every time i hit the send/receive button - lather, rinse, repeat. Does the same if my mailbox is empty or 100 messages.

-ben

Ok, I have an update to this thread:

I'm now running Outlook 2003 on a WinXP SP2 box. I'm still using the same .pst file, and i'm still popping to the same POP3 server.

Sending email works fine. The instant I click the send button on an email, it zips right out.

However, when I click send/receive, or when outlook does it's periodic check for mail, it takes upwards of a minute. Regardless of whether i actually have mail to download, it still takes upwards of a minute.

I did some small troubleshooting, and found that when I click the send/receive button, my computer doesn't even attempt to contact the POP3 server for almost 30 seconds. That leads me to believe that the problem is with outlook. I used regmon and filemon to watch what outlook was doing, but couldn't come up with anything useful.

When I was using outlook 2000 i had the same exact problem, but after about a week of using it, the delay went away and POPing was instant (and i do mean instant).

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated! Do note: the problem is not in the "volume", "size", or "network latency". the problem is software and/or settings. My email server is working fine, and i'm not downloading large amounts of mail. Just to clarify
happy.gif

-ben

Ben McMahon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back