Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send mail directly to servers in parent domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

bard9

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2001
US
I have several sendmail servers and one smart relay.

All internal company email recipients are handled in an alias file. I put this alias file on all boxes and configured a .cw file and the .cf file to deliver messages directly to the server where the recipient receives mail and if an external address to send to the relay.

This all works correctly with one exception.

In a correct example, mail sent to user@companyname.com is aliases to user@server1. When the email is sent it sends directly to server1. server1 lookup in DNS will retun the IP address and the full name server1.companyname.com.

I have a few servers named with a sub. For example, server2.sub.companyname.com. If I send an email to user2@companyname.com aliases to user@server2 and the mail is coming from server1 (server1.companyname.com)it is delivered directly to server2. BUT if an email is sent to user@companyname.com aliases to user@server1 FROM server2.sub.companyname.com...it send to the relay.

DNS lookups from server2.sub.companyname.com to server1 are correct so even though server2 can nslookup server1 without specify the full name and sendmail can in fact alias it, it still sends it to the relay instead of directly to server1.

I know this may sound confusing.

In a nutshell:

mail from

servername.companyname.com sends directly to all servers in the same domain level and to sub domains fine BUT mail from sub domains such as sub.companyname.com won't send directly to servers in the parent domain and instead sends to the relay.

Has anyone run into this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back