Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

send error report to microsft

Status
Not open for further replies.

machoosh1

Technical User
Mar 28, 2003
CA
When i try open certain self extracting files or programs i get a popup saying send error report or don't send ... its making me mad....
and when i hit control, alt, delete i get it also saying error with task manager "send report"...

If Error Reporting is getting on your nerves to the point where you just do not want to see it, then disable it.

To disable Error Reporting....

Right-click 'My Computer' >select 'Properties' >click the 'Advanced' tab >click the 'Error Reporting' button at the bottom right >select 'Disable error reporting'. You can also customize which programs you would like to have 'Error Reporting' enabled before if you do not want to completely disable it, as occasionally it may return valuable information on how to resolve a problem.

Disabling the Error Reporting will just save you the hassle of having to see the Error Reporting box pop up. You will still need to find out what is crashing your programs. Do these programs crash everytime you run them or is it just sporadic? Is there any valuable information you can gather from the Application Log or the System Log of the Event Viewer? Do these programs crash if you run your computer in 'Safe Mode'? Can 'System Restore' take you back to a time when things were well?

Run the System File Checker to make sure all of your core system files are intact. Go to Start >Run >type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. Have your XP disk handy if it asks for it.

Also, make sure your computer is updated and virus/malware free. Try using Trend Micro's Housecall and see if it finds any malware lurking on your PC. You may also want to try out AVGs free anti-virus and anti-spyware tools.

- Trend Micro HouseCall

- AVG Free Advisor

Try cleaning junk out of your registry too. Eusing Free Registry Cleaner is a free tool that is pretty good at finding and fixing registry errors.

- Eusing Free Registry Cleaner

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back