Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send emails without Outlook being open 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBricker

Programmer
Sep 25, 2002
US
For a few years I have been able to send out bulk emails (not spam) during the night when I'm not at my desk. I used some code in MS Access to accomplish this and Outlook didn't have to be open. Now we have an Exchange Server and with the account set up we have, I have to leave Outlook open to accomplish the same thing. My problem is when Outlook is open, any of the night staff can read my emails which isn't good. I tried going to Control Panel..Display and setting the "On resume, password protect" so that once my screen saver came on, you had to put in my network password to get back to my desktop. That apparently won't allow Access to open and run the bulk mails. When I have come in the last two mornings and log back in, I have to sit there while the code runs. It's a pain. My question is, is there some way around this? Is it the account setup?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. IT's been no help.

Paul

Have you tried locking your computer (CTRL+ALT+DEL and click on Lock Computer)? Programs continue to run if the computer is locked. I've left a computer locked and had a backup start, run, and complete with no problems.

Cheers.

PaulBricker said:
That apparently won't allow Access to open and run the bulk mails.
I suspect that's an issue somewhere. The screensaver kicking in shouldn't affect running apps.

cmeagan656 said:
Have you tried locking your computer (CTRL+ALT+DEL and click on Lock Computer)?
Or, even faster, Windows + L

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

The (CTRL+ALT+DEL and click on Lock Computer)/(Windows + L)sound like good ideas if I remember to do it. I will certainly use it for the evening and see how it goes.

Pat, I ran a delayed email when I originally tested the setup and it ran ok. When my code didn't run I assumed the delayed email was already sent to the server and just delayed there. I'm using ClickYes to get around Outlook security and maybe that is what's causing the problem.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'm sending out compliance notices, work order notifications, schedules and such to faculty and staff and the mailings can number a couple hundred at times. I don't want to sit here every morning waiting for that to finish.
Thank you both for the suggestions.

Paul

Just to update everyone, I locked my PC last night and when I came in this morning, I had to sit through a mailing again so I'm still looking at the same problem. My guess is the ClickYes software may be causing the problem. I will investigate further.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back