Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

send email without access to xp_sendmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmeckley

Programmer
Jul 15, 2002
US
Scenario:
Legacy App/DB using Sql 2K, but for all intents and purposes it's dBase on Sql Server.
We do not have access to the application code base. Or an API to hook into the code base.
There are few, if any data validation checks in the system.

Our Solution:
Append trigger(s) to specific table(s) to audit information. If information is invalid send an email to specific user(s).

I have everything up and running in my sandbox. Running through the different test scenarios I encountered 1 final problem which I can't remedy. 99% of our users can't access master.dbo.xp_sendmail.

Is there a way to "run as"? Or another way to send mail which the common end user can execute?

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

I like to send emails through script tasks in a DTS. Would you be able to do something like this, and fire off the DTS from T-SQL?

Hope this helps,

Alex

[small]----signature below----[/small]
Majority rule don't work in mental institutions

My Crummy Web Page

For our web applications we've set up a role in the master database that gives access to the email procs, and added the web userid to that role.

-kaht

Lisa, if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Finally, <. is a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back