Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send Email in VFP just using Windows native functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylim

Programmer
Dec 12, 2001
PH
Hi Experts,

I have come across several ways to send email in VFP using CDO, BLAT, Outlook or some 3rd party app.

Which one basically uses native functions in Windows 10/11?

I find CDO kinda iffy coz it needs to reference some URL like "
Pardon my ignorance in advance.

Love live the Fox!

There is no native method of sending email from within VFP, that is, there is no built-in function or command for sending email. So you will always need some third-party intervention.

Personally, I have no problem with using CDO. You say that it is "iffy" because it involves certain URLs. But I don't see that as a problem. Mike Gagnon's code (in faq184-4969) works well. I understand that you don't want to rely on the URLs always being available. I can only say that I have an application that has been using CDO in this way for the last 20 years, and it hasn't failed yet.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

I use Chilkat these days, yes it is not free - but it works well.

Really easy to integrate...

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

There is no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

If you want to go with native functions/classes Winsock is the basis of almost all internet communication, but unless you have fun doing all things from scratch the options you mentioned, like BLAT, are making mails much simpler, another option on the same level is
If you don't even want to start on the level of configuring which mail server to adress etc. your entry point can be MAPI and that has its difficulties, too, but would be the choice when you want to use the standard mail client to send mails.

Chriss

I've just reimplemented email for a client using Chilkat and the ChilkatVFP wrapper that's in VFPX. (To be fair, I've run into some issues with ChilkatVFP, but have been able to work through them with Bill Anderson, the author. I know he's already posted one update based on my feedback and there should be another one soon.)

Previously, we were using Blat, but it just stopped working one day.

Tamar5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back