Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send email from table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiral123

Programmer
Sep 9, 2002
CA
Hello all, I need to have an email sent at a date and time contained in a table to an address contained in that table.
i.e
Date Email
8/8/2007 12:00:00 here@here.com

would send an email on that date and time to that email.
Will sql do this or will we need a third party application?
Any advice is appreciated

Google appears to have several ideas on the subject:

Interesting... I think I'm going to research this as it's not something I've though about previously...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
- Winston Churchill

I would use a DTS package for this. Set it up to run at a fixed interval.

Your basic steps would be:

1. Hit the table with the emails and date/times to see who needs to get an email this run. Bring this information back into a recordset.

2. Loop through this recordset and use CDO to send all the emails.

You could do this through T-SQL as well, but I imagine it would not be as quick. Either way you will need to set up a job to run your process on a set interval.

Hope this helps,

Alex

[small]----signature below----[/small]
I don't do any programming whatsoever

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back