Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send auto email if file exists with attachment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zalmanp

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2003
US
I was wondering if there is a way to have Exchange Server constantly look for a specific file in a folder. If it exists, to automatically send it to a given email address as an attachment?
I am not very familiar with Exchange Server so please pardon me if this is something obvious.
Thanks for any help.

Exchange on its own just aint that bright. You can drop a properly formatted message into the PICKUP directory and Exchange can deal with it but it won't have an attachment and will go to whatever address anyone has selected; it's none too discriminating.

Thanks for your reply.
Can you help me figure out how to do this in a different way? Here is my problem.
I need the system to automatically, daily, send a file (summary of orders) as an attachment to an email address (a salesrep) only when the file exists (if there were orders for this rep). The file name is fixed and the email address is fixed but the file may or may not be there on any given day.
Any ideas? I really appreciate any help on this.
Thanks.

I wish I could but that I would say that sounds like the job of your customer management system which would, ordinarily, throw Exchange a mail over SMTP. Clearly you either don't have one or your CMS can't do it.

You can do this in a scheduled script and use postie or another command line e-mailer.

sounds like a job for markdmac.....

Thanks. Someone mentioned to me that I look into blat. Did you ever hear of it? Is postie something like blat?
Thanks again - Really appreciate the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back