Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send all CMD activity to a logfile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bimux

Technical User
Apr 19, 2001
CA
Hi, ... is there a way to setup the CMD to send all entries and output to a logfile ? ... I suppose it would be helpfull if it can be a logfile / CMD session / user.

Thanks.

When you run a command in a CMD session, you can pipe it to a file if you so wish. For example, if you want to write the results of a ping to a text file, the command below would do this:

PING 192.168.1.1 > FILE.TXT

By putting the > FILE.TXT on the end of the command, this will write any output to the FILE.TXT instead of the screen.

If this doesn't help, can you elaborate more on what you are trying to do?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks Linney, but I was looking for something that might already be in place within Windows. I work an quite a few systems and I don't want to install a product on all of them.

What I was looking for was a logging mechanism the same way some telnet clients cal log all activities during the telnet session. In UNIX there is a command called "script" which allows to log all session activity to a file. Of course if the use of a specialized CMD is required, then I suppose I have no choice but to buy some product that will log CMD activity.

At the moment the only thing I can do is change the settings of the CMD to allow 9999 lines of buffer, then when I am done using the CMD I can copy and paste in a notepad. I need to be carefull since sometimes I go over the limit a lose the previous data.

Hope someone can help. I am sure this would be useful for others as well. :eek:)

Windows have not built-in console logging. Perhaps because Microsoft supposes the main interface is graphical, not command line.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

What is available via the Audit Policy and collection in the Event Viewer's Security Log, in particular the logging of Processes?

"Audit process tracking.

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Audit Policy

Description.
Determines whether to audit detailed tracking information for events such as program activation, process exit, handle duplication, and indirect object access."

I see ... thnaks to all for contributing ... I may just have to stick with Cut&Paste for the time being.

Found a couple of TEE commands for windows but none that works well. The only thing that I see at tis point is using the Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX 3.5 ... 222MB ... long to download.

Has anyone used this tools ... I expect to have a tee command that works in there ... then I will be ok.

I'll update if I have a solution.

Thanks again. :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back