Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send a 404 based on IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

enormousson

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
GB
We have an intranet site that has inadvertently been indexed on google. In order to remove it we need to get google to crawl the site again, and receive 404's to remove it from the index.
We cannot mask the site at the firewall level as it is on the same server as many public sites so at the moment the options I can think of are:

RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} !^150.130.100
RewriteRule ^(.*) - [G,L]

this sends a 410 - no good for google.

[L,R=301]

this sends a redirect to a page that then sends a 404, not a 404 directly

Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 150.130.100

sends forbidden 403 - again no good for google.

where 150.130.100 is the IP that should have access to the site.

I feel I must be missing an obvious easy way to achieve this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Hi

enormousson said:
In order to remove it we need to get google to crawl the site again, and receive 404's to remove it from the index.
Robots are intelligent, is enough to ask them to not index that pages. Use a robots.txt file to achive that.
Code:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /intra/pages/
enormousson said:
Note that the second parameter is a regular expression and period ( . ) is a metacharacter matching any character. So you have to escape them with a backslash ( \ ).

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back