Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Semaphore Timeout Period has expired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe123

Technical User
Aug 20, 2001
GB
NT4
Veritas Backup Exec 8.5

While trying to erase a tape the alert above "Semaphore Timeout Period has expired" appears and causes job to fail. Anybody know what this means???

Cheers

If this helps:
"These errors may have occurred because the storage device driver did not receive a response back from the storage device or the controller within a specific amount of time. (usually about 30 seconds)..."

Sergey

I have 2 new identical Dell servers. Each has a DLT drive and BE ver 8.6. One is a file and print server and backs up every time. The other is an exchange/proxy server and completes only about 50% of the time. It always errors out with "The semaphore timeout period has expired" Any suggestions on diagnosing this problem would be appreciated.

I'm having more or less the same problem. We are trying to connect to a sambasrv from our Windows NT-clients, and always getting: "Microsoft Windows Network: The Semaphore Timeout Period has Expired". I haven't found any solution for it? Do you maybe now one?
Thanks.

Hi! we're using backup exec version 8, we backed-up some data from machine A, and tried to restore it to machine B.
machine A is NT 4.0 and B is win2k. The restore of data is
erratic, it fails and gives us a "semaphore timeout period expired". Anybody experienced this...I saw some postings but these are based on "backup" jobs and not "restore" jobs.
And, prior to restoring the data from tape to machine B, backup exec was tested on machine B to be working.

All inputs are welcome.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back