Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selling Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1gbram

Technical User
Jul 1, 2006
GB
I've just written my first proffesional program, and I want to sell it. However, I have neither the money or expertise in advertising and marketing.

I thought it would be a great idea to find someone or some company, who'd buy exclusive rights to sell my software.

Where would I even start looking for someone or some company like this?

Thanks for all your advise :)

Who your customer be ? You must have had someone in mind when you wrote the program - to give you 'usability' feedback if nothing else. You'll need to know who your target market is, whether you sell it yourself, or approach someone else to sell it for you. What other programs are there out there that do something similar? Could yours be an add-on to enhance a package already on the market ? Answering these questions will show you where to go next....

Fred Wagner

You really want to know the truth? Seek out an intellectual property lawyer. Set a legal claim to your software. Protect yourself on paper.

Once you do that, finding money is the easy part. There are always investors looking to back something valuable. The question is, how valuable is your software?

If this software is patented, shoot me a PM, I'd love to know more about it. I just met a developer that launched a software product last week. Amazing, totally marketable program for teaching the piano. Last year he got hooked up with the right people and he moved from development to beta to launch in under a year. His stuff is being sold in Best Buy now.

If it isn't patented, you shouldn't be talking about it to anyone but your lawyer, It would be a shame for your first program to be stolen! It happens all the time.

There is no security, only different levels of insecurity.

I think it depends on how you want to look. Do you want to look like you're a Microsoft/Apple or like someone who works out of their house. It makes a difference in how people look at you and your products.

There used to be a software category called shareware. You got the software and tried it for trial period and then you were supposed to pay a nominal fee such as $20. I don't know if that market exists anymore. The problem with that market was the software was pretty lousy overall. It got a bad reputation because the developers were small-time and could provide little to no support.

These days, people are going to expect professional quality software and 24X7 support. There is also a huge markey for portable devices such as iPads, phones, etc. The Android market is really hot. Maybe that is the new version of shareware?

Step 1: Get a lawyer who knows the software industry and how to protect your work. He/she can give you an idea of the process involved and if it will be economically feasible.

OK - dying to know - whats the software? :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back