Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Self contained dependency files and dynamic registering

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientTiger

Programmer
Jul 5, 2001
US
I'm working on a new project and it has the potential of going out to different offices. The trouble is that our tech folks don't coordinate well with what I'm doing, and have several times in the past come in, did an upgrade, and royally jacked up my apps dependency files (incorrect registration errors, changed directories, you name it).

I was wondering if there's a way that I could gather up all the dependency files (dll's, ocx's, tlb's, etc) and put them into a subdirectory along with my .exe, then in turn have the .exe self-register them from that directory at runtime.

Also, could this possibly interfere with other programs on the target machine? For example, if the comdlg32.dll file is used by my app and is located in the apps folder, and other programs uses the version in the system32 folder, would my app registering it just cause two entries, or would it overwrite the existing registry entry, thus potentially jacking up their stuff?

------------------------------------
[yinyang] Over 20 years of programming, and still learning every day! [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back