Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selectively remove History from MS Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwj2

Technical User
Oct 24, 2000
US
I would like to know if there's a way to selectivey remove items (cookies, URL's, keywords) from MS Internet Explorer?
I am running Windows 98.

You could do this is by clicking on the properties of the Internet Explorer, and in general you will see "Temporary Internet Files" Click settings then view files, you will then see a list of files which you can select individually for deletion, these will be cookies pages and downloaded inmages.
You can also go into c:\windows\cookies to delete the cookies individually, and C:\windows\history to do the same there. I am not sure about deleting the individual URL, I guess you mean the ones that are stored in your address bar in IE? But I'm pretty sure deleting them from the history also will remove them from the address bar.

ok I found another solution, this one will remove individual URL's that you have typed into the Address bar or URL's that you have copied and pasted nto the adress bar, but you willneed to do it through the registry, so make a back up first.
You want to go to this branch

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs]

You will see entries on the right side, these you can delete at will.

In the IE tool bar click the history icon.
It will list all the sites u visited.
Right on any of the entry u want to delete.

Hope this will solve the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back