Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selective downloading of email on server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenoWV

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
US
I work on both Windows and Macs. On Windows, I use an email program called "Pegasus Mail" that allows me to see what messages are on the server (Sender; Subject; Size) prior to downloading them. I can then delete the junk from the server without it ever reaching my harddrive; I can download the good stuff; or, I can download the good stuff but leave it on the server (so it can be downloaded to another computer later). It is a great program, and amazingly, it's free.

On Macs I have been using EudoraPro for years.

Question: Is there any way to have Eudora check the mail in the same way in which I just described PegasusMail? Right now, with v4.2, when checking it downloads everything (and depending on my settings, either deletes it all, or, leaves it all there). I want to see a list of what's sitting in my inbox *prior* to downloading, but cannot figure out how to make Eudora do that. Seems like a real obvious feature, especially when it is included in other completely free programs. Even a plugin would be useful if anyone knows of one that will do this. Thanks for any help ...

Unfortunately no, I use a small app called MailCall for that purpose, there are also many others, freeware and shareware Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Thanks Mulga -- sorry to hear that Eudora is not including this fundamental feature. It is a pretty good program, but leaving out such user-friendly tools is not very impressive. I have used a Mac shareware called MailSiphon (which is like MailCall), and that in fact does what I want. But of course it is a separate application, so it takes more time, and requires one more window open, all of which seems unnecessary when Eudora should have been offering this since the v4 release (if not earlier!).

Oh well -- maybe they'll get the message eventually. Thanks again...

I fully agree, its a feature that should be there Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

Is there any new information on a manual downloading option for Eudora 6.0.3.0? I've scoured the current manual and Eudora's Knowledge Base with no luck. This option should be a standard function of all email clients so that unknown files from unknown people can simply not be downloaded.

Simply hold down SHIFT while clicking Check Mail button, then choose "Fetch all message headers to In mailbox". This will download only the headers. Then you simply open the mail, click on "Retrieve From Server", then "Check Mail". Voila!

Thanks uvguy,have never heard of or seen any documentation on that feature before, it is also present in V5.1 I now discover

Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

I believe this feature has been there for quite a while. I've been using Eudora for a LONG time, and it's always been there. I do recall seeing documentation on this somewhere though....

Thanks uvguy for this valuable tip. Unfortunately it does not work with my older v4.2 on a G3 Mac, so it looks like it may be time to update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back