Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

selective display of fields 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shusha

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2001
CA
Hi there,
Is there a way to selectively display fields based on one table based on choice of assessment?

This is what i am working with . I have this psychological assessment that has 3 diff versions. some of the staff use an older version for their testing and some work with an internediate one and some with the latest., most of the fields are common. so i thought if the user specifies the choice of assessment only those fields that apply to that particular be displayed.. i know there is a way to do this as selective display is possible.. only thing is i do not not how to for 3 assessments. for instance:

these are the fields
fld1r
fld1ex
fld1
fld2r
fld2ex
fld2
fld3r
fld3ex
fld3
fld4r
fld4ex
fld4
Totalverbalfld (raw_entry): fld1r+ fld2r+ fld3r
Totalverbalfld (raw_exit): fld1rx+ fld2ex+ fld3ex
Totalverbalfld (Scaled_Entry): fld1+ fld2
Totalverbalfld (Scaled_Exit): fld1+ fld2
fld5
fld5ex
fld6
fld6ex
fld7
fld7ex
Totalperfld (raw_entry): fld5+ fld6+ fld7
Totalperfld (raw_exit): fld5ex+ fld6ex+ fld7ex
Totalperfld (Scaled_entry): fld5+ fld6
Totalperfld (Scaled_Exit): fld5+ fld6

Assessment one uses : fld 1, fld 3, fld 4 and associated entry and exit flds
Assessment 2 uses : all fields excpet fld 3 and fld 6 and associated entry and exit flds
Latest assessment 3 uses all fields except one and associated entry and exit flds

I have all these fld sitting in one table.. I just want to show the associated flds when the type of assessment is selected. I have a fld that distinguishes which type of assessment it is.. there is a masterno for eachclient and assoc. demographic flds..

So my question is , is it possible to have one table, one form but diff views based on type selection.

any help is appreciated.. thanks.. and have a nice day. I love this forum. It is so helful and all professionals here are so caring. Thanks for all the help given

Usha

Hi,

You could use the select case construct (alternative to IF..THEN..ELSE) ......

select case Assessment
case 1
field1.visible = true
field2.visible = false
field3.visible = true etc etc etc
case 2
field1.visible = true
field2.visible = true
field3.visible = false
field4.visible = true
field5.visible = true
field5.visible = false etc etc etc
case 3
etc etc etc etc
end case
end select

Personally - this'll be a whole load of code, and also a messy form with gaps everywhere.

Much better to create one form with all fields, copy it twice and use these 3 forms after you've deleted the fields you don't want, deciding on the Assessment type before calling the relevant form.

Regards,

Darrylle

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience." darrylles@totalise.co.uk

Thanks for the tips... In the meantime after posting my smg, i decided to create 3 separate forms much like darlle mentioned and wiull try calling it using the command button to open the necessary forms, though using the same table. I am sure it is going to work.. thansk for ur input. You guys/gals are really great. What wld i do without u all.
I am trying various methods of accessing these forms. I want it to be as easy as possible for them
jsut a qucik question. Will having too many command buttons in a form inflate the size of the mdb file.. also will too many forms within a databse inflate it. I suspect the answer is NO. It is the actual raw data that matters, me thinks. Am i right?
Darrylle, thks so much for ur prompt reply.. I was away all day and just retured.. hence the delay in my reply..
thanks again. let me know if i am right in assuming many forms within a db will not make it swell. thks
usha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back