Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

selections using a derived field in Report Smith version3.1 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aatlas

Technical User
Feb 17, 2004
CA
Hi

I am using Reportsmith version 3.1 for oracle database and I need to create a birthdate report that would give me all the employees whose birthdates are within a given month.

I have created a derived field using macro to get the month of the birthdate field or the month entered as the report variable but under I can not get to do the selections using these 2 derived fiels.

Can you please give me an advise?
Thank you very much

Macro derived fields happen after the data has been returned. Youe need to use a SQL derived field to return the month of there birthday. Then in Selections you can use it with the Report Variable to drive the report.

Here is the SQL Derived Field Syntax:

To_Char(birthdate data field,'MM')

'MM' will return Month (01-12; JAN = 01)
OR
'MON' will return Abbreviated name of month
OR
'MONTH' will return Name of month, padded with blanks to length of 9 characters

CharlesCook.com
ADP - PeopleSoft - SAP
ReportSmith - Crystal Reports - SQR - Query - Access
Reporting - Interfaces - Data Mining

If you are using ADP with ReportSmith, one of the included sample reports, i.e. birthday.rpt produces a list of employees by birth month and day. You might want to take alook at that if possible.

David Black, CQA
Teepak, LLC

I don't know if this works in Oracle (I'm SQL) but I set up a monthly date based report with report variable "MONTH," (string type, with "choose from list" entry, and then I entered all months like this in the report variable piclist:

%JAN%
%FEB%
%MAR% etc...)

then do a selection criteria of "data field Birthdate is patterned like report variable MONTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back