Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selection Expert bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammybee77

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
GB
I'm trying to select a formula, but for some reason the formula doesn't appear in the selection expert - does anyone know how I can force it to appear. Cheers

It's probably a long varchar or memo field, Crystal won't let you use those in formulas, they need to be converted.

You can do so using the SQL Expression, or offload it back to the server to parse the field first.

example in Oracle:

substr(MyTable,MyLongColumn,1,254)

Don't place the log field into the report and then try this, Crystal will choke.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

If your formula uses one of the followng, it won't appear in record select formula editor:

Summary functions (like sum/average/etc)
Next/Previous functions
Shared Variable
Variable that is WhilePrintingRecords Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Hi,

These guys are quite right, i had this same problem, i got the answer creating a view with the column and using a function as described early in this page, i tell you this so you don't get confused in using a sql expression in crystal, it'd not work, you must use a function in the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back