Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting records from a search form to insert records into a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

twomblml

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2001
US
I have a search form that displays the company results of a search in a subform.

I am trying to figure out the best way to select these records (with a check box), click on an Add button, it will prompt for a job number and then add a child record to the selected records with the job number information in it.

I have a convoluted way of doing this with a query of the selected records from a yes/no field on the company record. However, this is not going to work in a multi user environment because multiple people could be selecting different records from different search results.

Can anyone suggest a way of doing this? Just a recap:

1. Select the search criteria for a company, click Search and the results are displayed in a subform. (This works properly)
2. Add a check box column to the result set. (Not sure if this check box should be bound to a column in the company table)
3. Check all the records that meet my criteria by ticking the checkbox
4. Click on Add button
5. Prompt form pops up for Job Number
6. Insert Job Number, click OK
7. A new child record is added to each record that was selected from the search page with the Job Number in it. (Relationship from Company to child(History) is a one to many: master_key(Company) to SubMaster_key(History))

Thanks for the help in advance!

Perhaps a MultiSelect ListBox ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

That is what I started out with but I was trying not to force my users to do the ctl click thing and put a check box in there to make it more user friendly.

I'm working on another solution right now. I'll report back with the results.

Thanks

you can do a multiselect setup where the user just has to click on something to highlight it.

I was able to achieve this using a continuous form placing an unbound check box for each record with a command button on the top. Writing code in the background, essentially showing the check box when the command button was clicked. Then I added a text box on the form for the job number (instead of using a pop up) specifying the user to enter a job number before clicking on the button to create the records.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back