Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting ranges of item #'s from a database

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckwheat

Technical User
May 24, 2001
US
I am developing a report from an inventory database. I need to place several different ranges of item #'s from within the inventory list at the top of the report and than the remainder after these items. Is there a way I can do this? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hey Buckwheat,

There are many ways to skin a cat - and this is also true of Crystal.

Try splitting the Group Header into several parts, and insert subreports in them, corresponding to the Inventory numbers you need to appear first. A subreport is a report within a report - and several subreports can be inserted into a main report. Therefore, you could create a main report with the "rest of the data", and insert the ranged data in another report and bring it in as a subreport.

Cheers,

paulmarr@arcom.com.au

There are so many ways to do this, it is probably overwhelming. As I hate using subreports (for performance, not religious reasons), you could also create a specified group, where a range of items could go in one group category, another defined range in another group category, and the remainder in the default Others group category.
I don't think there is a clear "best" way to do this - whatever you feel most comfortable with is probably the most significant factor.

Malcolm Wynden
I'm for sale at malcolm@wynden.net

Thanks for the help. So far I have tried specified groups. They work great except for one thing. I am working with a database of inventory items on sales invoices and so there are a lot of duplication of Item #'s. It lists every item and doesn't group identical item #'s together. Is there any way to group within the specified group?

Thanks,
Buckwheat

buckwheat: Sure - cheat!! If you create a formula field (@cheat) which merely has the original item # as its formula you can then select that within your specified group David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Crystal Decisions Enterprise Partner

That sounds great. The only thing is, I am kind of a novice at formula writing. How would I write a formula that I could choose as my specified group?

Thanks
Buckwheat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back