Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigwojo9

Technical User
Feb 12, 2005
US
Really don't know where to start on this.

Looking into getting a MSI K7N2 Delta LSR motherboard with Sempron 2800+. (Socket A)
Now, with all the different types of memory out there, what do all the numbers mean.

For example:
PC2-4200 DDR2-533
PC2100 DDR
PC2 -3200 DDR2-400
PC 4200 DDR
etc. etc.

What would you recommend for this system, and why.
Budget is tight so use that with your choice.

Thank you,
Craig

You should look at the manual. It will tell you what memory to use. You can usually find these stats at the mobo's site.

The Semprons use a 333MHz frontside bus (FSB). That's how you determine the type of memory you need. Also, the motherboard supports dual-channel DDR. Therefore to get the most out of your configuration, you want to buy two matching memory sticks of PC2700 (which is DDR 333). Buying two sticks of say 256MB is not much more than buying one stick of 512MB, and even in some cases can be cheaper.

You will also need to look at the latency rating on the memory you buy. Make sure you get CL 2 or CL 2.5 (the lower the number, the better). Don't settle for CL 3.

Go with Crucial (a.k.a. Micron), Kingston, or Corsair. There are other good brands, but they tend to be more expensive.

[navy]Note: You could get PC3200 (DDR 400) if it's around the same price if you prefer. You just have to take the extra step in the BIOS to make sure it's running in synch with your CPU at 333MHz and not 400MHz[/navy]

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I tried to upgrade my memory and PNY said that it not only had to be a particular model of memory, but it had to have a particular part number. I tried to get it from BESTBUY, but the computer area manager would only argue with me.
The moral of the story is don't believe what any sales person tells you. I hope you have better luck than I did, I am still using the old memory. I am considering buying a new computer instead. After buying memory, software, and a cd write drive I think it is cheaper to buy new instead of upgrading this 3 year old Toshiba.

orypecos
If you were talking to PNY then they would be very specific about memory because they want you to buy theirs!!!

Trust me!

Although Nforce2 400 motherboards can be a bit picky with memory they are no worse than any other new motherboard out there.

Any quality "Branded" PC2700 or PC3200 will work just fine:

Buffalo, Crucial, Kingston, Twinmoss, PNY to name but a few

But if you really do want to be 100% sure on this, just look at MSI's tested list for this motherboard.
It doesn't make these "tested" modules better, just that they are known to be 100% compatible.

One last note*

If you can possibly swap the Sempron and use a Barton core Athlon instead.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Hi!

With all the fun I've had with memory recently (Thanks for HL2 Valve, Grrr!), I can't stress enough, the importance of checking the manufacturers website for compliant DDR modules! There are so many types out there that the only way to be sure that you have compatable memory is to buy one which has been tested and verified by the motherboard manufacturer.

As Cdog pointed out, DDR400 will run at 333. So if, in the future, you wish to upgrade your processor you'll already have DDR400 installed.

The moral of the story is:

Don't listen to salespeople! Don't even ask them a question. When they come by try to ignore them. I have heard countless stories of peoples being told things by salespeople that are so inaccurate I get a chuckle everytime. Best Buy people are the worst.

Do your research online and forums like this. You'll be better off.

Hi everyone,
Thank you for the assistance on the memory.
Let me no if this is good.

My motherboard I purchased -
CHAINTECH NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU, Model "VNF4/Ultra"

The PCU is AMD Athlon 64 3000+

The memory - Kingmax SuperRAM Series Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200, Model MPXD42D-2

Is this a good matchup for a system?

Thank you,
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back