Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting media for backup job

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackrabbit

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2002
US
I have only a little bit of experience with backup and robotic tape libraries. Our tape drive holds up to 8 tapes. I have 5 in there now and run a backup every week night. On friday's I want to take out the friday tape only and send it off to our offsite storage. The problem is i don't know how or if you can make the backup run to a specific tape each night. I could setup different jobs for each night and create different media sets but thats too complicated. Our tapes hold over 200 gig each so we can fit all our stuff on one tape easily.

Can i tell the job to start on tape 1 on mondays and have it go to the next tape the next day through friday. Is this even possible?

I will suggest you to do a media set by type of backup.
Exemple.

Daily media Set
weekly media Set
Monthly Media Set

You will have to create a job for the daily media set
another for the weekly media set (that runs on friday)
and another for the monthy media set.

For you daily job when you will select the device that will do the makup you will have the opportunity to select the media set to use for that backup job choose the Daily media set.
Do the same for your weekly and for the monthly.
Erase the media Set 1 build by default with Backup Exec

On you r weekly / monthly job it will be easier for you to select the option to eject the media after the jobs completes. Using many media set strategy could be helpfull if you dont want to erase your weekly / monthly tapes

blackrabbit

it is possible.

You will need to create partitions - right click the autoloader in Devices view, and choose partitions.
Create a partition for each day.
Then you need to create 5 backup job, with each job pointing to the correct partition.

Does anyone know if this admin was able to get the autoloader to do what he wanted? I just posted asking basically the same thing.

In playing with the BE 9.1 Interface looking for the various options I found that "eject" was not among them. I had to "export" the media and then manually eject it from the autoloader's control panel, a two stop process. This would mean that the person that takes the tape off-site each day would have to perform this step.

It seems like autoloaders are not designed for daily jobs involving automatic tape ejects (at least via Backup Exec)

Any Help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Tony-

When you set up the job, check the "eject media after job completes" checkbox on the device and media page of the job setup...

hope this helps,
--matt

Thanks for the suggestion. I found that switch when I created a job last night but the autoloader did not eject the job. In fact under media conrol (or device) the eject button is greyed out.

To create a simple daily full backup onto a single tape, would I partition each slot and assign the job to the virtual drive assigned to that slot? I need for BE to rotate the backups in sequence from Monday to Friday. This way I would always know which slot contains the backup for any give day. I think.

Thanks,

-Tony-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back