Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

selecting first numeric value in cell 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

msingle

MIS
Jul 15, 2002
US
How would I select the first numeric value in this cell (actuually, it is the first value)...
63 of 92 lines on 9/15/03

if it is always in that format then
=value(left(cell,2))
will work but I presume that the number of digits can change. If there is always a space after the 1st number then

=value(left(cell,find(" ",cell)-1))

should work for you

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]
Want the [red]best[/red] answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

One last question... using the above formula, how would I nest the AVG function in there?? Do I need a another cell?

whar AVG function ?? There is an AVERAGE function - but then, that depends what you are trying to average ????

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]

Something along these lines..

=AVERAGE(MID(F16:I16,1,2))

unfortunately, you will need an array formula for this as you are processing a range of numbers within a formula
Enter
=AVERAGE(VALUE(LEFT(F16:I16,FIND(" ",F16:I16)-1)))
with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. You'll know if you've done it right as { } will appear round the formula

Rgds, Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back