Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting and modifying part of a JPEG 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavaghman

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
AU
Hi,
using Photo-Paint8. I want to change the color of a logo from yellow to white in a banner image(JPEG). I used the magic wand mask tool to select each part of the logo and then made this selection into an object. I was then able to change the colour to white......is this the right way to go about it? When I zoom in i can still see yellow around the edges...how do i remove this? I presume there is some way to feather the selection less so that i can get rid of all the yellow??

Also, with the way I've done it now, the object I've created is always highlighted (flashing) even when i reopen the saved graphic, how do i just let it display normally on the graphic again?? Maybe some silly quesions here but i'm stuck!!

Any help really appreciated,

Cheers, Lavaghman

well, first, never edit a JPG. JPG is a lossy format and every time you save, you are again applying the JPG compression. The image degradation may be minor, but over time could build up. If your original is a JPG, best to save it as a CPT and edit from there - it's your most flexible format. Then if you need a JPG later on, export from your "master" file. JPGs cannot save layers/objects/text - it's a flat file. CPT files will keep your text as text so you can go back in and change it if needed.

Without seeing the file you're referring to, it's difficult to guess what may or may not have been the best way to do this. Can you link to the JPG so people can comment?

Using the "magic wand" mask is one way to mask things off - you could also draw a path around something and make a mask from the path, you could also use the paint brush mask, you could also make a rough mask-do a color change-clipmask the image and erase what isn't needed... it all depends on what the original looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back