Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selected wrong keyboard settings during install

Status
Not open for further replies.

pctechnician

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
US
when I installed Linux 7.1 SeaWolf, and logged in to type some commands for almost every key i pressed i got the wrong character. I guess during install i selected the wrong keyboard type by mistake.

Is there anyway to change it back to standard 103 key generic w/o re-installing?

Thank-You

A+,Net+

I'm not sure I remember but I think you can run xconfigurator or edit /etc/X11/XF86Config. Some distros haven't used these for a while.

IF: 1, your X session (KDE or Gnome etc) launches on boot.
2, your mouse works OK
3, you can logon.

Click thru to "Control Center" | "Peripherals" | "Keyboard, then from the drop down menus select the correct keyboard.

All this can be done with the mouse. I am concerned, however, with the effect on usernames and passwords. While this will get you on the right keyboad, the change in input/output you described may affect them.

how can you login without a keyboard???

i say if you just installed, then reinstall! it shouldn't take that long to reinstall any distro. you should look more careful to the options you select during install.

crickett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back