Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Select where date is incremented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbowe

Programmer
Jan 6, 2006
Hi, I would like to select members who joined the club from 1956 to 2006, whom have been renewing their membership every year (for 50 years continuously. Any help?

select *
from tblMembers
where join_date='#01/01/1956#' and paid_tru='#12/31/2006#'

Hint: Members are renewing their membership by paying every year (paid_thru). I want to select the ones whom they have never skipped paying a yearly fee.

How do you track payment of yearly fees? Is tblMembers the only table you have, or is there a table of payments?

Tamar

Everything is in one table, I mean joined_date, paid_thru, names, etc.

how about giving this a try

Code:
SELECT * ;
    FROM tblMembers
    WHERE YEAR(join_date) = 1956 ;
      AND YEAR(paid_tru) = 1957 ;
      AND YEAR(paid_tru) = 1958 ;
      ... so on ...
      AND YEAR(paid_tru) = 2006

tip: you may create the [ YEAR(paid_tru) = nnnn ] conditions dynamically by putting the year values in an array and creating the conditions via a loop.

note: i haven't tested the code, but, i think it should work. just give it a go.

good luck!

Albert Cobacha

That would only work if there are separate records for each year. Typically, a simple system like that would have just one record for member that could be used to determine a persons membership status at the current time.

Regards,
Jim

albertdc, I thought of using

AND YEAR(paid_tru) = 1957 ;
AND YEAR(paid_tru) = 1958 ;
... so on ...

then I find it that it's going to be very long. I am not sure of using the array, I will try if I can.

JimWWinter, that's what I am looking now, something used to determine a persons membership status at the current time. I am new to the company and no doc about the database (explanation of the fields). I tried to use:

WHERE join_date<='#01/01/1956#' AND count(paid_thru)>=50

did select any records, I am not sure if count works well with date

So, is paid_thru a date field? Do members renew their membership monthly, quarterly, annually, something else? Do you have a separate record for each renewal?

Oh, and if paid_thru is a date field that WHERE clause isn't going to work.

Regards,
Jim

MBowe -- do you have one record per member or one record per member per yar?

If it's one per member, then your original query should work. If there's a new record for each member each year, try something like this:

Code:
SELECT Name, Count(*) AS nYears ;
  FROM tblMembers ;
  WHERE join_date >= DATE(1956,1,1) ;
  GROUP BY Name ;
  HAVING nYears >= 50
  INTO CURSOR FiftyYearMembers

Tamar

JimWWinter, paid_thru is a date field.

TamarGranor, I will have to double check about your quiz and try your code.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back