Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

select statement for blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmoeller18

Programmer
Oct 9, 2001
US
using sql server 2000 (from asp.net) the following sql works great when the message field is of type nvarchar but doesn't work for the text type.

I don't believe nvarchar will work for my needs since it is limited to 8000 (4000 due to double storage). I believe I will need to use the text type.

select bm.message_id,
bm.title,
bm.display_date,
bm.message,
count(bc.comment_id) as commentCount
from blog_messages as bm LEFT JOIN blog_comments as bc
on bm.message_id = bc.message_id
where bm.active_flag = 1
group by bm.message_id, bm.title, bm.display_date, bm.message
order by display_date DESC

The purpose of the select statement is to display a list of blog entries that includes the number of comments on each entry. An example of this in cold fusion is found at

With my limited knowledge of the asp.net repeater control, I'm not sure how to integrate 2 select statements (1st for blog content, 2nd for comment count). It seems the fastest way to get all of the information I want is to use a stored procedure using either a temp table or a cursor to compile all of the data together. However this method may forcee me to select the count from table b for each record of table a which could be time consuming.

Is there any way to achieve this goal with one select using the union statement or another type of join?

Jeffrey E. Moeller

Code:
select  
   bm.message_id,
   bm.title,
   bm.display_date,
   bm.message,
   (select count(*) from blog_comments
     where message_id = bm.message_id) as commentCount
from blog_messages as bm 
where     bm.active_flag = 1
order by display_date DESC