Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SELECT SQL without switching area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toman

Technical User
Mar 30, 2004
CZ
Hi,
Is it possible to generate SELECT SQL command without automatic switching to a work area with query results?
I've finished my experiments with
Code:
SELECT * FROM table TO SCREEN NOCONSOLE
which is perfect, no switching, just results are neither visible nor accessible.
Thank you, Tom.

Tom,

Are you saying you want to get the query results into a cursor, but you don't want to switch to the cursor's work area?

If so, this should do it:

Code:
lnSave = SELECT()
SELECT * FROM Whatever INTO CURSOR SomeCursor
SELECT (lnSave)

That'll work even if there was no work area selected previously.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

Mike,

Behind my question was exactly my whish to eliminate lnSave = SELECT() / SELECT (lnSave) construct.
If you suggest this, I understand, that there is no other way to force VFP not to switch to work area where new cursor resides.

Thank you, Tom

Actually, colleagues, there is the way, albeit the result is somewhat cumbersome to process afterwards:

Code:
SELECT * FROM MyTable INTO ARRAY aSelected

You stay in the same work area, but you have to watch for RAM usage (the resulting array can be of a huge size), and you'll have to, probably, put this array into some table or cursor afterwards anyway, I guess.

HTH.

Regards,

Ilya

Ilya,

not a bad idea in cases I had on mind. Current work area remains the some. Pointers remain the some. Easy to read code, something like
Code:
SELECT MAX(MyField) FROM MyTable … INTO ARRAY aMyMaximum

IF _TALLY > 0
   *    all followings are acceptable
   ? aMyMaximum(1,1)
   ? aMyMaximum(1)
   ? aMyMaximum
   *    or with bigger respect to variable types
     nMyMaximum = aMyMaximum
   ? nMyMaximum

ENDIF
Nevertheless I must listen a few days, what my sense for purity in programming says.

Thank you for a tip.
Tom

If that is the type of SQL you want to do, you can also CALCULATE MAX(...) TO Variable. The usage is very limited though. SQL-SELECT INTO ARRAY offers a much larger variety of course.

Bye, Olaf.

CALCULATE really carries no improvement *except* when you're doing multiple calculations, and calculations that aren't easy to do in a single SQL statement:

CALCULATE Min(), Max(), Avg()

CALCULATE is good for those cases where you only have a single "row" of values to calculate - as opposed to sets of values based on the grouping in a table - and you want to put the results directly into variables.

In all other cases, my choice would be a SELECT into a cursor. But that's just a personal preference.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

Surely CALCULATE is no improvement, but it's meant for setting single variables to results. And of course you can also do Sum(), Avg(), Min() and Max() in one single SQL-Select.

It's just an alternative way.

Bye, Olaf.

Actually, colleagues, I have noticed quite a while ago that having aggregate functions (or at least SUM()) in an SQL-SELECT statement slows down the performance quite noticeably, the more so the larger the number of records in the source table. Yours truly ended up running a number of CALCULATE statements for the performance speed's sake, back then...
But that, I guess, is another topic.

Regards,

Ilya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back