Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SELECT SQL - WHERE clause

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMozley

Programmer
Oct 15, 2005
GB
I do not use SELECT-SQL very much (perhaps I should use it more). But I would like to write a command which will detect in a single table where there are entries for a particular key do not add up to zero.

The table is XENTN. Three of the fields are tDate (D), Folio C(8) and tValue N(9,2). A transaction on a particular day is given an identifier (Folio) and may have several records in table XENTN.

The command :
SELECT SUM(tValue) AS TotValue , Folio FROM XENTN GROUP BY Folio
. . . produces a cursor with a single record for each transaction, and one can view the resultant cursor to see any offending transactions.

How can I modify the command to produce a cursor which only shows the offending transactions?
Thanks - Andrew

You do that by a HAVING clause. HAVING SUM(tValue)<>0.00 wold work in your case, so as a whole query:

Code:
SELECT SUM(tValue) AS TotValue , Folio FROM XENTN GROUP BY Folio HAVING SUM(tValue)<>0.00

Chriss

By the way, you could have helped yourself, as you know you can do SSQL on a cursor, so you could do something like that, too:

Code:
SELECT SUM(tValue) AS TotValue , Folio FROM XENTN GROUP BY Folio into Cursor tempTotals
Select * From tempTotals where TotValue<>0.00

Chriss

Thank you Chris. I now have have :

Code:
SELECT SUM(tValue) AS TotValue, Folio FROM XENTN GROUP BY Folio HAVING TotValue <> 0.00

and that works. Andrew

Andrew - if you need help coming up to speed on VFP's SQL, you'll find a bunch of papers on the subject on my website at The most detailed is but it also addresses SQL Server and PostgreSQL, so might be a little overwhelming.

I actually wrote an e-book on VFP's SQL a long time ago. It's still available from Hentzenwerke:
Tamar

Thanks, Tamar, for your reply.

You are quite right, I need to get up to speed with the use of SELECT-SQL in my VFP applications. I don’t actually use SELECT-SQL very much in my applications, which are often inherited from earlier platforms. So these applications tend to have a fair number of USE, SET RELATION TO, APPEND BLANK, REPLACE commands &c.

But the applications do include a menu selection to give the user (really the administrator or system developer) the facility to execute one or a sequence of VFP commands - mainly to interrogate the data when a fault has occurred. I validate the command by the use of COMPILE and CATCHing any errors, then put it into a Tempfile and execute it with a DO command. And when I use this facility I first take a full back-up of the user’s data files!

So this could be a place where much more extensive use could be made of SELECT-SQL.

I would like to suggest to the administrators (and to myself) that a range of options of the SELECT command could be useful - may prepare a one or two page guide to help.

The main commands that the user could find useful would be to look at records in a single table, possibly ordered by one of its fields (like a transaction date); then a step further, add a further detail - like the customer name from a related table.

I suspect that your book “Taming Visual FoxPro’s SQL” could be useful. Did try to pick up a second-hand copy, but I see that it is now only available as an e-Book (from Amazon ~!), so what with the $40 and the cost of printing I may hold off. But does anyone have a second hand copy for sale in the UK?

Thank you very much for your guidance over the years!

That book was always only an e-book. So you're not going to find a paper copy. It's not as long as some Hentzenwerke books, only 165 pages.

Tamar

Andrew, I'm not familiar with the book that Tamar mentioned. But I can tell you that she has also published a lot of useful SQL information in magazine articles and conference papers - all of which you can read for free.

Follow the link in her above post.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back