Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Select record or create new - If statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon373

Programmer
Oct 25, 2006
Hi,

On a button click event, what VBA code could I use to check if a customerID exists in a related table, view that record in a form if it exists or (if it doesn't exist) create the record (and view in a form) using the primary key displayed on the current form as a reference?

Can anyone recommend a VBA programming book for a beginner to intermediate level, then perhaps I can try to answer a few questions instead of asking them!?

Many thanks

Simon.

My method of choice is retrieving a recordset with dbOpenDynaset:
Code:
cmdSQL = "select * from TableName where KeyFld='" + InputValue + "'"
set rs = db.OpenRecordset (cmdSQL, dbOpenDynaset)
if rs.BOF and rs.EOF then
  .AddNew
    !KeyFld = InputValue
    TargetForm.KeyFLd = InputValue
  .Update
else
  TargetForm.KeyFld = InputValue
  TargetForm.NameFld = rs!NameFld
  ' etc, etc
endif
rs.Close
TargetForm.Show 1
Then, when the user's done and wants to exit TargetForm, build/execute an update SQL statement.

Thanks for this. I'm getting the following compile error: invalid or unqualified reference, on the line:

.AddNew

Running Access 2000. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks.

Use a With rs ... End With block.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Duh!! I should have put "rs.AddNew" and "rs.Update" there. (I usually use "With rs" for these, but didn't in the example.)

See if it works any better for you that way.

Still having some difficulty with this

Private Sub cmdOpenRecordCard_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_cmdOpenRecordCard_Click
Dim db As DAO.Database, rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim strSQLquery As String
Set db = CurrentDb()

strSQLquery = "SELECT * FROM tblRecordCard WHERE tblRecordCard.CustomerID = " & Me.CustomerID
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(strSQLquery, dbOpenDynaset)
If rs.BOF And rs.EOF Then
With rs
.AddNew
!CustomerID = Me.CustomerID
Form_frmRecordCard.CustomerID = Me.CustomerID
.Update
End With

Else
Form_frmRecordCard.CustomerID = Me.CustomerID
Form_frmRecordCard.Name = rs.Name
End If

rs.Close
Form_frmRecordCard.Visible = True

When I click on the customer form to open the record card form with a corresponding customer id, I get: "This property is read only and can't be set". I believe it is referring to Form_frmRecordCard.Name = rs.Name

There are also a couple of things I have noticed and wondered if anyone could explain.

I can't get the show method to work with the form. I am currently using visibile = true. Why is this, it doesn't seem to appear in the object browser?

Also, on the line Form_frmRecordCard.Name = rs.Name
the suggested code shows an exclamation mark between rs and name. The object browser will not recognise this and seems to want me to use a dot. I have tried it with both

Is this something to do with differences between versions of Access, and - if so - which version are the majority now using?

Am on a steep learning curve!

Thanks

You should avoid using reserved word for your fields/controls ...
Form_frmRecordCard.Controls("Name").Value = rs.Fields("Name").Value

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I think your problem is with "Me.CustomerID" - it references a control, instead of the control's value.

Assuming the control's a textbox, you could do it more easily with CustomerID.Text, (be sure to change all your other references to Me.CustomerID accordingly).

If tblRecordCard.CustomerID is a numeric field, your Where statement's alright. However, if it's a text field, you'll need to modify your Where statement slightly to avoid a new problem:
"WHERE tblRecordCard.CustomerID = '" & Me.CustomerID +"'"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back