Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Select record condition with 'IN' affect the speed of my report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benbsrd

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2014
FR

Hello,
I'm trying to use a select record in Crystal Report.

when I put a simple condition, I have the result quickly
{INVENTORY_PART.PART_NO} = {?PART_NO}
=> when I look at the SQL query in Crystal I have this select condition right mentionned.

when I want to use the IN condition it reduces the speed of the query
{INVENTORY_PART.PART_NO} in {?PART_NO}
=> when I look at the SQL query in Crystal I haven't this select condition mentionned => it means that Crystal reads all the records (40000 records) to select the data after (?)

I have to do a select with the IN condition because my parameter {?PART_NO} will have these data : '123344','456789','963254'

How do I improve that ?

I add to my Thread these informations :
my report is a simple label with the part number and his designation.

I've read some posts dealing with calling a sub report
Is it possible to call x times a sub report with, for each call, a parameter ?
This parameter should be a part number, belonging to the string '123344','456789','963254','999999' ?

your help would be very appreciate [smile]

Using the IN can change the performance. It is just a result on how the query has to process the data. I do not how your main report is formatted, but if you were to group by the part number and put the sub-report in the group header, detail, or group footer, then it would call the sub-report for each part number. I do not know if the performance would be any better.

I have always found the performance considerably better when using the SQL command directly (rather than letting Crystal build it). It might be worth a try.

The syntax would be something like this;

select part_no, etc, etc
from inventory_part
where inventory_part.part_no in ({?PART_NO})

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back