Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SELECT Permission Denied on object 'tablename'...#229

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbola

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
CA
I have an Access2000 front end to a SQL 2008 database (Dynamics GP) that has worked since we moved to the new server a few months ago, but has been finicky with DSN's.

Today a user is getting this error and after trying to fix it, I now get the error on my workstation.

ODBC-call failed.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The SELECT permission was denied on teh object '{tablename}', databse '{dbname}', shcema 'dbo'.(#229).

I checked and dbo is the schema owner thingy.
It is a SQL user I created using SQL authentication.
Did I mention it has worked until today and nothing has changed?
I tried using SQL profile to no avail. It is greek to me and I am the only SQL Admin we have.

Is dbo the table owner?

Another check - login to management studio (or from the command line using sqlcmd) using the SQL username and password that your app uses.
Run the sql select statement

SELECT * FROM {tablename}

(putting your table name in)
Does it work, does it give the same error message?
Check - are you in the right database - ie has one got a forced default database?

Can you connect using DSN less connections? it makes managing connections a lot easier.

John

dbo is the owner

It works on another workstation that has the same SQL password for the linked tables. I got this first user to work by re-selecting his local DSN instead of one on the network. But now when our receptionist tries to use it, I know she will get an error and I will have to point it to her DSN, and then the other user will get an error.

If I wanted to use DSN'less connections that will be about 2 months work for me because these are just access tables linked to SQL and I am lousy at programming.

Your comment implies that you use different passwords on different workstations ("another workstation that has the same SQL password for linked tables") - what happens if you use the same username and password?

The only reasons I can think of for using different accounts are for:
* different permissions for different security roles
* auditing access to data

Also what happens if you recreate exactly the working ODBC on another computer, removing the old ones? Same name, type, driver and settings.

John

Your comment implies that you use different passwords on different workstations ("another workstation that has the same SQL password for linked tables") - what happens if you use the same username and password?"

They are using the same username and password that I created on the SQL Server in order to avoid using the 'sa' login.

Why does it work on one workstation and not the other is what I'd like to know.

I also think it has to do with the DSN but how do I fix that? Each workstation has a DSN connection to the SQL database and they use the same user and password (SQL authentication).

I also logged in to SQL Server Mgmt Studio using the same username and password that this Access db uses, and was able to run the SELECT statement with no errors.

I even created a DSN on the network and it worked for USER1 but it didn't work for USER2 until I changed his back to using the DSN on his program files ODBC folder.

After I did that, USER3 got the error, so I had to reset hers to her local ODBC folder. Now USER2 is getting the error again, and I can bet USER1 will also get errors.

It has always just worked for me so I never had to really understand how it all works, and therefore I am not able to troubleshoot this, nobody here is.

Do user1, user2 and user3 have the same permissions within SQL Server? (ideally: same roles)
Is the ODBC data source configured identically - same name, same driver and same settings for different users? Are they different users on teh same pc or different pc's?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back