Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Select from two different database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iby

Programmer
Jul 17, 2002
IT
Hello,

Somebody has idea, how can I make a select from two different database?

Thank you in advance,
Ibi

You can create a database link between the two databases.

For example, create a dblink in db2 databse:

CREATE database link db1
CONNECT TO scott IDENTIFIED BY tiger
USING 'db1';

From db2 database, you can issue an SQL like;

SELECT *
FROM table1@db1;

Robbie

"The rule is, not to besiege walled cities if it can possibly be avoided" -- Art of War

I hope you are talking about Oracle databases here when you say "Different" databases, Otherwise, you may need to implement Heterogenous services or Generic Connectivity in your setup.
Robbie

"The rule is, not to besiege walled cities if it can possibly be avoided" -- Art of War

Robbie,

Thank you for your help. One thing what I still don't understand that what does it mean that statement between '' and after the USING?

This is the service name of the remote database where you want to connect to. This name must be listed in the tnsnames.ora in your server where the database db2 resides.

Robbie

Thank you Robbie, now it's absolute clear!!
Kind Rgds.
Ibi

Sorry Robbie, one more question: Why did I get this msg. when I would like to run a select but before the link creating was successful?

"ORA-02019 connection description for remote database not found"

It could be that your remote database is not properly configured in your tnsnames.ora.

Make sure that you can connect/tnsping to your remote database using the service name in the tnsnames.ora.

Robbie

You might be using another user to access the remote database from the one that created the db link. In this case, you should create a PUBLIC database link, and not a PRIVATE one.

CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK db1
CONNECT TO scott IDENTIFIED BY tiger
USING 'db1';

Robbie

Thank you very mutch Robbie, your help was great!!!
Ibi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back