Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Select first row of data from autofilter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcongdon

Programmer
Mar 14, 2008
US
I have an autofilter set up through VBA in an Excel 2007 worksheet. Once it filters, I want to delete all the values it returns and remove the autofilter. The problem I'm having is how to select the first row of the filtered data- sometimes it's row 2, sometimes it's row 456. How do I select ONLY the data returned by the autofilter?

Have a look at SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Do you want the FIRST visible row or ALL visible rows?

Check out the specialcells(xlcelltypevisible) peoperty of the range.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

That's definitely what I was looking for, now is there a way to NOT select the headers and cells below the filtered selection? Here's what my code looks like now- it might be rough, but hey, I'm an amateur :p

Code:
Sub Step2()
' Filter out xxx and yyy account numbers
    Sheets("Insert Raw Data Here").Select
    Cells.Select
    Selection.AutoFilter
    ActiveSheet.Range("$A$1:$X$50000").AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="=xxx*", _
        Operator:=xlOr, Criteria2:="=yyy*"
    ActiveSheet.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp
    ActiveSheet.Range("$A$1:$X$50000").AutoFilter Field:=1
End Sub

The 50000 was just a number that I pulled out of thin air because there will never be more than that many rows. Thanks!

What about this ?
Application.Intersect(ActiveSheet.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible), ActiveSheet.Range("$A$[!]2[/!]:$X$50000")).Delete Shift:=xlUp

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

That still deleted the column headers, but it didn't delete any of the data I need. I may just add the correct column headers to a new sheet in the workbook and insert a row after this procedure. Here's what my code would be (unless we can think of a way not do delete the headers):

Code:
Sub Step2()
' Step2 Macro
' Filter out xxx and yyy account numbers
    Cells.Select
    Selection.AutoFilter
    ActiveSheet.Range("$A$2:$X$50000").AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="=xxx*", _
        Operator:=xlOr, Criteria2:="=yyy*"
    Application.Intersect(ActiveSheet.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible), ActiveSheet.Range("$A$2:$X$50000")).Delete Shift:=xlUp
    Cells.Select
    Selection.AutoFilter
    Sheets("Reference Sheet").Select
    Range("B4").Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
    Selection.Copy
    Rows("1:1").Select
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown
End Sub

Never mind- PHV's snippet worked beautifully. For some reason when I ran it step wise in the debugger it didn't work, but when I ran the whole procedure through a command button it worked perfectly. Thanks for all the help guys, it's really appreciated. I'll definitely keep that SpecialCells() method in mind in the future!

There's actually no need to even bother specifying visible cells only. Once you have the autofilter in place, just delete from Row 2 to the end of the sheet. Excel defaults to only deleting visible cells.

Code:
    dblAvailRows = ActiveSheet.Rows.Count

ActiveSheet.AutoFilterMode = False
    Cells.AutoFilter FIELD:=1, Criteria1:="A", Operator:=xlOr, Criteria2:="B"
    Range("2:" & dblAvailRows).Delete
    ActiveSheet.AutoFilterMode = False
(I use dblAvailRows because we have users on multiple Office versions so the max number of rows could be 65536 or 1048576)

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

That's good to know and keep in mind as well, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back