Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SELECT DISTINCT, pulling an entire record of my choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

shteev

Programmer
Jul 15, 2003
Hi. I have an Access database of cards for a trading card game, some of which have identical names, although their other fields may not be identical.

Example

NAME - COST - CARD TEXT - YEAR PRINTED

Fog - G - No creatures deal damage in combat this turn - 1995
Fog - G - Creatures deal no combat damage this turn - 1997

I want to write a query which, for each card which has multiple printings, all but the most recent. i.e, in this case:

Fog - G - Creatures deal no combat damage this turn - 1997

I want the query to return all the fields of my records, and so I'm having difficulty seeing how I can do this with functions like DISTINCT or GROUP BY.

maybe something like:
Code:
SELECT Name, Cost, CardText, Max([Year Printed] FROM TableName
GROUP BY Name, Cost, CardText

Leslie

In an open world there's no need for windows and gates

That returns both records.

what about
Code:
SELECT [Name], Cost, CardText, [Year Printed] FROM tableName A
INNER JOIN (SELECT [NAME], Max([Year Printed] As MaxYear FROM TableName GROUP BY [Name]) B ON A.[Name] = B.[Name] AND A.[Year Printed] = B.MaxYear

I always used 'edition' to track my Magic: the Gathering cards, rather than year. You might also check out Magic suitcase which I'd probably use instead if I was still playing.

(But Leslie's query should have worked given the criteria you supplied).

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back