Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Select Color?...Replace Color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMax

Technical User
Sep 14, 2003
US
Crew,

Scanned in a black & white cartoon logo created by a deceased friend; & wanted to clean up the page fade. It was drawn in an old ledger; & most of the area (both inside & outside the image) which was once white, is now almost of a parchment hue (beige to light tan.)

I turned it into a grayscale image in Photoshop (6); & it cleaned up a lot...but some of the darker aged areas turned to an ash gray in the process.

So I'm thinking...is there a way to select just the parchment colored pixels; & turn them to white?

I was trying to mess with the Replace Color dialog...but can't figure it out (& my help files don't work anymore in XP...they won't load in the browser.)

My alternative is to zoom in all the way & use the Eraser tool...but the logo is so damn detailed it would take months.

Need some guidance on this one.

Thanks,

Sonic Max
Photoshop 6

try Image/Adjust/level. Basically pick the white and black points. The black/mid/white points are in the bottom right corner. With the white point, try to pick something that is gray and the whole picture will look clean-up in no time.

Cheers.

ticke,

Thanks much...will check it out.

Sonic Max

I had a similar problem with old (yellowed) receips i scanned.

Check out SPYDERIX's response to my post at thread229-785448 which says:

Is this image just black an white? If not make it completely black and white. Adjust your levels as needs and then go in with your paintbrush and touchup any spots that are slightly grey or faded etc.

Then do the following:
Select All (Ctrl+A)
Cut (Ctrl+X)
Quickmask Mode (Q)
Paste (Ctrl+V)
Get out of Quickmask (Q)
Invert the Selection (Ctrl+Shift+I)
Choose Default Colors (D)
Edit > Fill > Foreground Color
Deselect (Ctrl+D)

Done. You have now perfectly extracted your black and white signature using quickmask. You don't have to mess around with the magic wand or color range or anything. This will give you a perfect extraction. Now you can turn this into a vector shape and export to AI or whatever you want to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back