Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Select Case 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnsolvedCoding

Technical User
Jul 20, 2011
US
Does select case not like <> ?

Example

Case is <> 2,3

It has taken me a while to make sense of what I hear at work involving computers. There is much talk of bugs and questions about Raid.
Therefore I have come to the logical conclusion that the only way to have a properly functioning computer is to regularly spray it with Raid bug killer.

It likes it just fine, if you use it correctly.

Case IS <> 2, IS <> 3

Tried it, not working.

It has taken me a while to make sense of what I hear at work involving computers. There is much talk of bugs and questions about Raid.
Therefore I have come to the logical conclusion that the only way to have a properly functioning computer is to regularly spray it with Raid bug killer.

For a single comparison:
[tt]Case Is <>2[/tt]

For a set of values slightly modify your Select Case:
[tt]y = 3
Select Case True
Case (y <> 2 And y <> 3 And y <> 4)
MsgBox "case 1"
Case y = 2, 3
MsgBox "case 2"
Case y = 4
MsgBox "case 3"
Case Else
MsgBox "other"
End Select[/tt]

combo

That didn't work either.

Code:
y = 3
Select Case y
   Case 2, 3
      ...[blue]
   Case Else
      ...[/blue]
End Select

But this is just a guess since you've never stated what you are trying to accomplish.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

I have a list of numbers that if it is a 2, 3 or 8 it gets filtered out.

Select for some reason isn't liking <> in any form but will accept Case 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9

There are other places in the code I would like to use <> if possible.

Could you provide a sample of your code? The solution provided by combo works; I'm guessing you didn't implement it properly.

mint's response has a logic problem in that Case Is <> 2, Is <> 3 will always be true since each expression separated by the comma is treated as an OR condition. Thus, all values will be not equal to 2 OR not equal to 3.

This is the chunk giving me issues. It comes from a user form where the user puts in numbers separated by a comma. The first digit is a default example that starts with 8 so if its an 8 the user doesn't want that section of the user form.

If the number starts with a 2 or a 3 and is three digits total then the number is a valid number.

Also the test variables are generic variants that are used throughout the code as throw away's. They hold info for a short time and are cleaned out to be used again somewhere else.

For this code all variables are public.

Code:
3600:   TEST = Left(SEQUENCE_TextBox3, 1)

3700:   If TEST <> 8 Then

' Check for the left digit
3800:   Select Case TEST

' If the digit isn't a 2, 3 or 8 then something is wrong
                Case 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9

' Tell the user whats going on
3900:           MsgBox "WARNING! Your panel number does not indicate the proper side", vbOKOnly + vbCritical, "Critical Error"

4000:           Exit Sub

4100:       Case Else

' Clear variables
4200:           TEST = Empty
4300:           TEST2 = Empty
4400:           TEST3 = Empty
4500:           I = 0

' Put everything in a variable so it can be chopped up
4600:           TEST = SEQUENCE_TextBox3

4700:           TEST4 = Len(SEQUENCE_TextBox3)

4800:           Do

' Pull the first number with the comma
4900:               TEST2 = Right(TEST, 1)
                    Debug.Print "TEST2 " & TEST2

' Increase the count by one
5000:               If TEST2 = "," Then TEST3 = TEST3 + 1
                    Debug.Print "TEST3 " & TEST3

' Shorten the length by one character
5100:               TEST4 = TEST4 - 1
                    Debug.Print "TEST4 " & TEST4

' Will not have a comma before first 3 characters
5200:               If TEST4 <= 3 Then Exit Do

' Get the part of the string not used
5300:               TEST = Left(SEQUENCE_TextBox3, TEST4)
                    Debug.Print "TEST " & TEST

5400:           Loop

' Because the last number won't have a comma, need to increase the count
5500:           TEST3 = TEST3 + 1

You don't HAVE to provide the logic for some numbers. You may leave them without the 'action'.
You may try this:

Code:
Select Case y
  Case 2, 3, 8[green]
    'Nothing will happen here[/green]
  Case 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9
  Case Else
End Select

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Thanks Andy

You are taking a value from a TEXT box. It's a string.

You are using LEFT() on that value. It's a string.

You are comparing it to numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back