Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Select a range based on the last usable data row/cell in table

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnameika

MIS
Mar 20, 2009
US
I have an ugly spreadsheet that I inherited and want to select a range of cells in a table to copy (and send out in an email) based on finding the last row of usable data in the table. The table is fixed:6 columns x 154 rows RANGE(A1:F154). Data is copied and pasted into this fixed range regardless of the number of actual needed rows. Unused cells contain "," & "-" (see Before Paste table below).

Here is the format of the cells prior to paste of data (each character represents a column (R154xC5)):

Before Paste:

A B C D E F
(R1) , - - - - -
(R2) , - - - - -
(R3) , - - - - -
(R4) , - - - - -
ETC...

After Paste:
A B C D E F
(R1) Doe, John 056 123 546 345 999
(R2) Smith, Sarah 000 232 568 968 222
(R3) Jones, David 222 365 768 246 123 <- last entry
(R4) , - - - - -
(R5) , - - - - -
Etc...

In the After Paste table, my last row of data is row 3 (Jones, David...), therefore the needed range is (A1:F3) NOT (A1:F154). This varies depending on the number of records received from hour to hour. I have started to work on a completely new approach in my "spare" time, but in the interim, I need to do this.

I have found some procedures that are close, but not quite. I was thinking MAYBE vlookup. But the logic fails me. I appreciate and value those opinions of others with so much more experience than me. I know there is code to do this, but don't have the experience to figure it out.

Thanks! Jimi

Hi,

It seems that what you are asking is to copy the used range from SheetA and paste it into SheetB!A1.
Code:
Sheets("YourSheetA").[A1].CurrentRegion.Copy _
  Destination:= Sheets("YourSheetB").[A1]

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Thank you, but what you provided copies the whole range A1:F154. That's the problem, I don't want the whole range of the table. There are no blank cells in the whole table as shown in my examples. Cells in column A (A1:A154) contain commas (,) and cells in columns B - F contain dashes (-), due to =IF(ISERROR({cell}+{cell}),"-",({cell}+{cell})). Column A has employee names in text copied into the cells. The Cells in columns B - F display results of a formula or a dash. I don't want any rows below the last employee entry. Meaning, I don't want records with commas and dashes as they are invalid (empty of data). The valid range of cells span where the data ends and the commas and dashes begin.

I basically want the macro to select only those rows that contain valid data records for me so that I may right click on the selected range and then copy it into an Outlook email. Just a time saver to me and other users until I convert it to Access. The fewer steps, the fewer errors, and less time involved in running the report. I am all about saving keystrokes and eliminating steps.

Thanks, Jimi

Use the Autofilter to select cells that do not equal [COMMA]values.

Turn on your macro recorder to record setting the criteria.

Then the COPY code is...
Code:
Sheets("YourSheetA").[A1].CurrentRegion.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy _
  Destination:= Sheets("YourSheetB").[A1]

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back