Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Segmenting network with 2 routers and DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanabeTek

Technical User
Dec 2, 2003
US
We have 2 routers BEFSR41 and a BEFVP41 with a DSL modem. I would like to segment our network so that the internal network is isolated behind the VP41 router and the webserver network is isolated behind the SR41 network. Both need to recieve internet access, hopefully using the same connection and global static ipaddress.

Also, when I tried to set up a static routing table only the first entry would save. I have looked at Tom's 2 router site and have also talked to Linksys but both assume that I want to just combine both networks.

I want no direct routes between the the internal network and the webserver network.

I am just starting to learn about networking and routing tables but would like some advice and or usefull sites.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

WannabeTek

Im not sure you can do that with only IP from your ISP. We have 2 "segregated" networks at my work, and we have 5 statics from the ISP. You will need to assign each router a different other IP.

- J.Dial

Max1mum.
- VBA Programmer
- Slackin on Studying for MCAD

I have seen pictures with a linux box acting as a router in front of the multible routers, but I am not sure if this will work with the linksys routers.

The other idea is to use the DMZ of the VP router to connect the web server sr router. I tried this and it did not seem to work or isolate the two networks.

hi,

WITH 2 STATIC IP ACCOUNTS > ONE MODEM

You basically need at least 2 STATIC IP accounts from your Internet provider, to do this practically.

Connect a switch after your modem > Setup a static ip account on each of the router.

WITH 1 STATIC IP ACCOUNT > ONE MODEM

Getting 1 IP address you'll just basically uplink the two routers giving them a different LAN IP address.

sites you may want to visit :

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back